Why French bulldogs can’t Eat Chocolate? What to do if they eat”

This post may contain links to products/services. Please assume all such links are affiliate links which may result in my earning commissions and fees. and As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.This will not incur additional cost to you.

Do you have a beautiful French dog in your home? Do you adore him? If yes, then surely you won’t make a compromise on his health. We know you are looking for the answer:

Can French Bulldogs eat chocolate? Well, a Big No! French bulldogs can never eat chocolate.

Because chocolates are poisonous, toxic, and bad for health.

The reason is simple; it contains theobromine which is extremely toxic to dogs.

This toxic cannot metabolize quickly and build up to a dangerous level in the dog’s stomach. However, in a more perilous situation, it can lead to canine fatality.

What Happens If a French bulldog Eat Chocolates?

Chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs, and it depends on the amount of chocolate consumed and your dog’s weight.

It could sometimes lead to a severe medical emergency.

However, if your French bulldog has eaten chocolate. It’s crucial to monitor him for signs of toxicity.
So how to know dogs ate chocolate symptoms?

All you need is to continue reading this article, and you’ll get to know about it.

Why dogs should never eat chocolate ?
Why is chocolate bad for dogs?

Why is Chocolate Bad for a dog?

Why is chocolate not good for a French bulldog? Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine. These two can be the main reasons to increase heart rate and stimulate your dog’s nervous system.

According to the Merck/Merial Manual for Veterinary Health, chocolate is not good for your dog; it can pose serious dangers to the dog’s health and can sick his digestion.

Also, the risk involved depends on the amount of chocolate consumes and the weight of your dog. So the next time, if you’re eating a delicious chocolate bar, just don’t give it your dear canine.

He may wish to partake in chocolate fantasy, but it could be a deadly sweet treat, so avoid it.

For your convenience, here’re some symptoms you may need to take an eye on.

What Are Dog Ate Chocolate Symptoms?

Dog Ate Chocolate Symptoms: In Bulldogs

Dangerous symptoms of theobromine poisoning could occur between 4-24 hours after consuming chocolate.

Here is a list of the dog ate chocolate symptoms:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Fast breathing
  • Hyperactivity
  • Increased Heart Rate
  • Seizures.
  • Panting
  • Shaking
  • Restlessness
  • Increased urination
  • Tremors
  • Collapse and death

    Important note: Dogs with heart conditions and older dogs are higher at risk of sudden death from chocolate poisoning.

How Long Does It Take For The Chocolate To Affect A Dog?

Chocolate in no way is good for dogs. If you catch your canine in the act, just remove any available chocolate and try to snatch out the piece from his moth as well.

Even one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight can pose serious health dangers to your dog. Likely, you’ll not catch your dog red-handed.

However, if you find your dog has already eaten chocolate, the first thing is to stay calm and try to determine which kind of chocolate has been consumed by him.

Milk chocolate has lower levels of nasty theobromine, so no problem if your dog has eaten a small portion of it, you don’t need to visit the vet’s office. However, you may need to observe his behavior over the next 72 hours.

Dark chocolate seems delicious, but for humans not for dogs. If you discover your dog eating it, you should stop him as it can cause serious dangers. In more severe instances, you may need to visit the veterinarian.

Symptoms from chocolate poisoning can take from 6-12 hours to show up. However, it’s best to familiarize yourself with the symptoms.

During this time, it’s essential to keep your dog calm and make sure there’s an ample amount of fresh water available for him to drink.

Can A Dog Die From Eating Chocolate?

Can a dog die from eating Chocolate ?

So now you know chocolate is no way good for your dog, but the question is: can a dog die from eating chocolate? If you think to eat a small chunk of chocolate results in your dog’s death, then it’s not true!

It depends on the kind of chocolate and the weight of your dog, if he’s fat enough and so has consumed dark chocolate, then the condition can be severe enough.

You may need to consult with the vet as well.

Though chocolate is toxic to dogs, we think it’s not more than a myth out there that if a dog eats a tiny piece, he may die.

It all relates to his size, and the amount of chocolate consumed.

So again, you need to be careful about the amount of chocolate that has been eaten by him.

It’s just a myth that your dog will die even if he consumes a small chunk of chocolate. If you monitor dog ate chocolate symptoms on time, then you can help him save his life.
You just don’t need to panic in that situation, stay with your dog, and help him.

So next time when you receive a box of chocolate on a special occasion, or your kids bring home a bag full of candies, make sure to eat and put it away from your little dog.

What To Do If Your Dog Eat Chocolate?

Don’t panic, if your dog has eaten chocolate. You may have observed dog ate chocolate symptoms; now it’s time to do something.

We understand it’s difficult to think of chocolate being something poisonous, but still, the world’s best and delicious sweets for humans can be deadly for the dogs if eaten in large quantities.

Chocolate is dangerous because it contains theobromine, which is safe for humans, but not for your canine.

So if you’ve discovered your little dog has accidentally eaten a large chunk of chocolate, then don’t panic. Your quick action can save your pet’s life. Here’re some steps you could take to save his life.

  • Consult With Vet Immediately:

The first step is to consult with the vet if he has consumed a lot of chocolate. Your vet will be able to deliver the needed emergency service he may need. Don’t try to do things at home, you may be not an expert, and a small wrong step could threaten his life! So it’s better to consult with the vet first before doing anything else.

  • Induce Vomiting:

In case if you’ve no quick access to the vet’s service, you should opt for induce vomiting. Yes, your bulldog may involuntarily start throwing up after he eats chocolate, but if he doesn’t, you should try to make it happen.

Steps To Take If Your French Bulldog Ate Chocolate

You can give your dog a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Additionally, you can mix it with water or maybe with vanilla ice-cream to make it palatable.

However, you can get your dog on a walk. Yes, take him on a walk of about 15 minutes. Increased physical activity will help him to induce vomiting.


I hope this article will help you understand to know the danger of chocolate for your dog. So, it’s always better to keep an eye on your dog activities to ensure he enjoys good health.

Leave a Comment