This post may contain links to products/services. Please assume all such links are affiliate links which may result in my earning commissions and fees. and As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.This will not incur additional cost to you.
Best winter coat for French bulldogs
While not all dogs need coats, your Frenchie needs a coat due to short hair and they can’t resist the cold climates very well, which makes them susceptible to cold, just like you.
In this article will cover these topics
- Why do you need to buy a winter coat for a French bulldog?
- What to look for when buying a coat for Frenchie?
- How to measure a dog for a coat?
- How to train your Frenchie to wear a coat?
Here we will explore some amazing winter coats that will keep your Frenchie warm.
Why you do need to buy a winter coat for your Frenchie!
We do not even need to mention that some Frenchies are famous for silky and smooth hair coat.
However, this breed is unable to tolerate harsh weather conditions due to many reasons.
Here are some reasons why your beloved French bulldog needs a winter coat :
- French bulldogs need to wear coats is that they have short legs. Their stomachs are more likely to touch snow during a walk in the winter season. Therefore, by keeping their bodies warm, you will prevent them from catching a cold.
- The French bulldog has a brachycephalic skull and short snouts make them incapable of warming up the air they inhale. You will need to provide the extra layer to feel comfortable in cold weather.
- Your Frenchie is unable to regulate their body temperature and their bodies lose heat faster than they can produce it.
- Frenchie short coats also don’t offer much winter warmth and cold protection.
- If your beloved French bulldog is sick or recovering from being sick, you’ll want to keep him extra warm so he gets better quickly!
- Senior Frenchies are more susceptible to illness, so it’s important to keep them warm and healthy.
- The French bulldog cannot stand being outside in summer and have very sensitive skin. Therefore, it would be desirable to choose loose clothing that allows breathing your dog’s skin.
What to look for when buying a winter coat for your dog? -Buyer’s guide
One of the main things when choosing a coat that covers the neck and abdomen of the Frenchie as well as your dog should also have free legs to move.
As you know, Frenchies are famous for their compact and muscular body. Despite its small size, this does not mean that you can put Frenchie in a mini jacket.
There are many things that you should look for before purchasing a coat such as:
- Climate and weather condition
- Durability and Attachment Method
- Reflective Strips
- Sizing & Coat Length
- Armpit & Neck Area
- Comfortable during health conditions
– Climate and weather condition
If you live in a cool area but not freezing place, you should choose a fleece coat for your Frenchie but in extreme weather conditions, your dog needs a multi-layered coat with plenty of insulation.
If you live in windy regions, you should pick a coat made of wind-breaking material.
Various types of coats are available consisting of different materials. If you live in a place with a lot of rain or freezing snow, you may need a waterproof winter coat for your French bulldog to keep him dry and warm.
A waterproof coat is also good for a playful puppy who loves to play in the rain and pond! If you don’t have this problem, materials like cotton or wool may work well to meet your needs.
– Durability and Attachment Method
Especially, if your Frenchie love to chew on new clothes, you should look for a durable coat. Attachment methods such as Zippers, Velcro, buckles, and snaps are available.
Since Frenchie has short hair, you can use a zipper and velcro, but the buckles and brooches can be chewed, it may not be so safe for Frenchie.
– Reflective Strips
Reflective strips are best for people who live in a busy area or walk a dog during the night.
–Sizing & Coat Length
When choosing a winter coat for your Frenchie, you’ll want to find a coat that is small enough to keep your Frenchie safe without being easily removed or dragged to the ground, but large enough to be comfortable and not too tight.
–Armpit & Neck Area
The armpit and neck area should not be tight, so you can easily remove and put on the coat without causing discomfort to your Frenchie.
–Comfortable during health conditions
As you know, French bulldogs are prone to hip dysplasia, you should always measure the hip area and buy a coat that does not increase the pain.
How do you measure a dog for a coat?
Since there are coats for every size and breed of dogs, it is important to properly measure and choose the appropriate coat so that the straps do not disturb your dog.
Your Frenchie is a strong breed and different than other small breeds because they have well-rounded and compact bodies which means they need a bigger size.
Here are some simple steps by which you can find the best fit size for your Frenchie.
- First, you need a measuring tape, pencil, paper and, most importantly, a lot of treats to reward your dog while taking measurements.
- Measure the girth of your Frenchie; it is the widest part around your dog ribcage or chest area. It is generally located just behind the points of the elbows.
- Measure the length; you can measure the length of your dog’s body between the base of the neck and the beginning of the tail.
- Measure the neck area, where a collar would normally sit
How do I train my Frenchie to wear a coat?
Some French bulldogs are uncomfortable wearing clothes but benefits from additional layers in cold temperatures are way more.
Frenchies are intelligent dogs and can learn anything easily. You can start training a dog to wear a coat as early as 8 to 12 weeks.
First, you should start with light cloths and then gradually change to winter coats. The key is to relax the dog by teaching him to automatically accept the use of clothes.
It is advisable to give treats too but in certain quantities. Keep in mind that overeating can lead to weight gain.
Choose a perfect fit coat for your Frenchie and follow these steps to train your Frenchie to wear coat such as:
- Show your dog the coat to sniff and look, and immediately give him treats and praise.
- Reintroduce the coat to your Frenchie several times a day for two days.
- Two days after showing that the garment is completely harmless, it is time to advance to that next stage, which consists of rubbing the coat along your dog’s body.
- Rub the coat with your Frenchie fur and give him a treat and slowly increase the duration of rubbing for at least 2 days.
- Place a coat on your Frenchie. Cheer up with treats and keep talking to him while wearing his new winter coat.
- Take it off after putting on for about 5 seconds. Repeat for 10 seconds, and then remove it again. Rinse and repeat, and a gradual increase in the amount of time the little Frenchie wears his new coat.
- Start with 30 seconds; if Frenchie responds positively, then you are ready to go with this new winter gear!
What are the best winter jackets for the French bulldog breed?
If you are searching for the best coat for your beloved Frenchie then you are at the place. We will help you with that.
Here we will review the top 5 dog coats, and all the recommendations listed below are not only based on value for money but on what is best on the market according to reviews.
The Kuoser Cozy Waterproof Reversible Winter Coat is among the popular winter coats available online.
This coat is unbelievably good and cute dog jackets for winter so if you want to keep your dog cozy and warm at all times, buy this coat. The jacket is lined with synthetic insulation that helps to keep your Frenchie warm even in the coldest months
It is available in seven different sizes, the XS fits dogs that weigh up to 4-6 pounds and their 3XL size can fit the dog of 60-100 pounds.
- It is made up of Polyester fiber
- Easy to put on and take off design
- The coat has a soft and warm inner lining
- It easy to clean
- Available in various colors and size
- It is reversible, you can use from both sides, a stylish plaid pattern on one side and solid black on the other side.
- It has many colors and sizes available
- Easy to open and close and easy to put on your dog
- It is made of waterproof fabric can be used in wind rain and snow
If you are searching to buy a warm Frenchie coat with a hoodie, then this one might become the best choice for your Frenchie.
It’s waterproof and easy to adjust according to a Frenchie’s size. This vest is suitable to wear on any occasion and will prevent a Frenchie from catching a cold.
It is available in six different sizes. It can protect dog ear in cold weather keep extra warm your dog
- Made of 3 Layers Material
- It is easy to put on and off
- Opening zipper design on back and leash hole
- Reflective strips on back & neck
- It is durable and lightweight
- It will give extra warmth to your dog by covering his ears
- It is easy to put on and off
- Waterproof, Wind-proof
- It has elastic edges on the foot and waist area.
LESYPET leather dog coats are one of the most fashionable and durable coats. It’s the cute collar and button decoration makes it unique.
It is available in five different sizes and made of water-resistant material. Your dog will look like a fashion icon after wearing this coat.
- Punk style dog leather jacket with exquisite stitching
- Water-resistant PU leather fabric
- It is easy to put on and off due to its snap-on button closure system
- It can be easily clean by machine
- It is perfect for small and large dogs and it can be used in extreme weather.
- Fur collar provide extra warmth to your dogs
The kurgo reversible winter dog jacket is the best option for an outdoor adventure with your Frenchie. It is reversible, reflective and easily adjustable.
Best product for hiking in chilly weather. It has leash excess zipper opening on the back that makes it easy for walk and hiking. It is available in different sizes with a lifetime warranty.
- Reflective & adjustable
- Can easily wear with a harness
- Its high quality makes it good for outdoor adventures
- Its adjustable hooks and loop belly closure makes easy fitting.
- It will provide the right amount of heat to your dog and protect it from overheating.
Gooby fleece vest small dog pullover jacket is a high-quality product. Its sizes are available according to the chest size of your dog. It is made of 100% polyester that keeps your dog warm in harsh weather. It has 17 different colors that make this jacket fashionable of all.
- Reflective lining
- Wide armholes provide ease for dogs to move around
- It is a machine and dryer washable
- Easy to put on and off, no hustle of buttons and zippers.
- O ring present on the back makes it easy to walk around.
The biggest problem with most winter dog coats tends to size, so be sure to check your Frenchie’s measurements three times compared to the product sizing chart, and try choosing hassle-free return policies so you don’t need to worry about wrong sizing.